Sunday, May 3, 2009

No Time Travel


I just got H.G. Wells' book "The Time Machine" out of the local library.
And am about to start reading it.

But as I picked it up, I had a sudden flash of disappointment.
Time travel will never exist, or at least not on this earth.

I would probably not be as categorical about any other currently-impossible activity, including levitation, inter-galactic travel, transmission faster than the speed of light, telepathy, contacting intelligent life elsewhere – you name it.
Science & technology seem pretty open-ended, especially if you project the time axis far enough.
But not for time travel.

Quite simply because, if time travel technology ever did become available, and even if there were some kind of protocol to avoid appearances & interferences, sooner or later there would have to be accidents or deliberate disobediences, and traces would be left.
Since no convincing traces have been shown, in centuries of recorded history & a decade of internet (and I don't believe anything significant could be noticed anywhere now without creating waves on internet), then I don't believe time travel will ever occur on earth.

Sorry about that.

A rapid Google shows that, of course, this idea is not original.

Parting thot: "When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge." – Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment