Monday, June 1, 2009

Puzzle


Something I see quite often continues to puzzle me.

When the moon is half-way between "new" & "full" then it is D-shaped.
If you can see the half-moon like that, then logically the sun should be somewhere along the line of symmetry of the half moon.
In other words, the half-round part must be pointing towards the sun.

Particularly, before sunrise & after sunset, the half-round part must point down, since the moon is above my horizon & the sun is below it.
But I often notice both before sunrise & after sunset, the half-round part definitely pointing a little upwards.

Attached is an example from after sunset this evening.
There is no horizon on this cropped image, but the black line is a vertical door-frame.

I haven't managed to explain this yet.

Parting thot: "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment